Saturday, February 16, 2008

080202 Sabah Trip

KK WaterfrontThe Story Begins
The first destination we'd like to share is our trip to Sabah, Malaysia for the Chinese New Year (CNY) holidays.

Since I was born and raised in Sabah, we've already been to most of the touristy destinations like Kundasang (town below Mount Kinabalu), Sepilok (Orang-utan sanctuary), various islands in the Tunku Abdul Rahman park.

This time, I was planning for a relaxing trip, since we'd both been working really, really hard for the past few months. Spend a few days in Kota Kinabalu, relax, a little window shopping, walk beside the beach... Then a leisurely visit with my mom in Keningau.

Whim for Risky Adventure
But K, being a more adventurous, can't-sit-still type, had other ideas. Oh he gave me two days of recovery from the plane trip, haircut-massage, walking sedately around town in KK. Then he looked out of our hotel room window (our hotel was right next to the sea), and saw the water village on the island across the way.

And he wanted to go there. Just to have a look at what it was really like, and take pictures and stuff.

Oh no, I said, that's Gaya Island, which is a well known den of criminals, thieves and illegal immigrants. Lots of muggings, murders, rapes and other horrors.

Really? said K a little skeptically. Couldn't be that bad surely, the authorities wouldn't allow such a thing to exist near the town, right? Let's ask around.

I rolled my eyes. What was the man getting me into this time? (to be continued...)

No comments: