Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sabah Trip cont.: Behind the Kampung

Glorious Seafood
On our last day in Kota Kinabalu, we treated ourselves to a yummy seafood dinner at Sedco Complex.

The steamed fish was excellent! The fish was of course caught live from the tank, and cooked immediately, what other way is there? The prawns and clams were a little too strong-flavored for my taste, too much sauces on what would have tasted fine with just a sprinkle of salt. Oh well, they liked it that way here. And we had a nice plateful of 'Sabah Vege' (first time I'd heard of such a thing, but it was yummy).

Keningau - Original Home
The next day, we caught a coach and went to Keningau, my home town. It's a 2.5 hours drive by coach, by car you could nix a half-hour. Up and down the slopey road we went (is there such a word as slopey?), with the coach's engine growling mightily up some slopes.

But we made it to Keningau, no problem, with both of us having enjoyed good naps on the rolling-like-cradle coach. Met up with my mom, who gave us great home-cooked meals at home. You know how moms are, they can't wait to feed their children yummy stuff. And we had loads! My fav: poached tender chicken, with golden yellow crunchy skin, with a liberal dressing of spring onion oil. Oh be still my saliva glands.

Let's Visit a Kampung!
It only too K one day to go stir-crazy from all the in-house chatting and eating. The next day, he immediately requested a sojourn to an authentic local kampung or village. In my pre-marital life, I was definitely not the adventurous type, so I actually didn't know of any interesting local kampungs.

But mom came up with the goods. Apparently a Keningau kampung was selected as 'The Best Kampung in Malaysia' a few years ago.

Really! said I, quite surprised. Which one?

Kampung Bayangan (Shadows Village), said my mom.

Eek, Kampung Bayangan was only a mile from our house. Sure I knew it existed, and I think I'd been there once, in a quick pass-by in a car. I had no idea what it looked like now. But guess where I was going that afternoon?
(to be continued...)
(A few months later... I just discovered that this blog actually has 2 readers, thanks guys!! And they drew my attention to the fact that my Sabah Trip story isn't finished! So sorry... really bad blog ettiquette... I'll get back to this and finish it after the Silk Road Trip story.)

3 comments:

Jack said...

Wonderful articles. Enjoy them a lot!!!

Hannie C said...

so? what happened next? why to be continue? ala.. can't wait to read about it.
Thanks for dropping by my site :D
Are u in keningau right now?

GK said...

Yipes, I forgot I hadn't finished the story! Sorry, really bad blog ettiquette! I was in Keningau in Feb...